Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mothers Day

My Mom with a Giant Redwood Tree
My Mom Grace Anne Reuck Taylor

Her Mom, Minnie Ann Grovenburg Reuck


As Mother's Day approaches, I reflect on my own Mother.  She cooked, cleaned and sewed her life away, mostly for my Dad and my brother and sisters.  She gave all she had with great love to everyone.  She was never too busy to help care for grandchildren, bring something to a friend or have a kind word.  She loved to talk on the phone and read us what she was currently reading, like the Reader's Digest.  She made wonderful Chicken Potholders that I hold dear (and will never use).  She made prom dresses, wedding dresses and quilts.  Most of the grandchildren have an afghan crocheted for them that was six feet long and five feet wide, so it would cover them when they grew up.  She loved to laugh and go for rides.  Most of all she just was a Great Mom.  I read this quote and think of her . . . Happy Mother's Day Mom . . .

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.




I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.


I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.


I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.


I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.


I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."




— Marjorie Pay Hinckley


Happy Quilting,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment