Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Why Did I Buy This

I want you to know why I choose some pieces, when clearly it would be easier to just pass on by and find something else.

I came across this Ethan Allen hutch from the 1950's that is filthy, beatup, dark and ugly.  I bought it anyway . . . as you can see I have a screw loose somewhere.  Things are stuck to it, pasted on, spilled on, just yucky . . . (my husband gave me the "are you kidding look").

This is the bottom of the hutch .  .  . so nice and clean, just ready to be made pretty?????


This is the top, a little cleaner, missing shelves, outdated and dirty . . .

Here is why I choose this piece
1. Ethan Allen
2. Classic Lines
3. Would be so cute painted shabby white
4. I like it so maybe you will too!
5.  Original knobs still in good condition
6. Cute shutter cupboard
7. Dovetail corners
8. Lots of drawers
9. Plate shelves on top
10. Great trim
11. Classic Lines
12.  I needed a project
13. I needed something to torture myself with






This is a really rough piece but in good condition.  As I look at it, I too wonder what was I thinking.  In the end, it will be a beautiful Swiss Coffee by Glidden or a bit darker with perhaps Zen from Behr on the back wall.  Let me know what you think . . .

I sometimes feel like I am talking to outer space where only aliens here me . . . Please leave a comment  . . .


Happy Quilting,
Nancy

2 comments:

  1. I love to read and see your furniture transformations! If I had the space and know how I'd be at it like you. Love the base piece of this hutch, and can't wait to see the end product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's GREAT!! You have a good eye and it will be beautiful when done.

    ReplyDelete